• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Back pain and how to prevent it

marsmellow

Bluelight Crew
So, I think I screwed up my back doing yard work the other day. It's really sore, and whenever I lean over or turn my shoulders sideways, I get this grabbing feeling in my back. It hurts like hell and takes my breath away for a second.

I think it's just a temporary thing. It's probably sprained or something. It has happened before, and usually gets back to normal in a few days. So, I'm not too worried about it right now. But I don't want it to keep happening, and I really don't want it to get worse.

So, what are some exercises and stretches that I can do to make my back more strong and flexible?

First things first, you should go to a physiotherapist or an osteopath to get your back sorted out now. If you compromise certain muscles groups to avoid the pain of the strained muscles, you'll end up with other things hurting from doing that!

Also, take some ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatories (ask at the pharmacy) to aid the healing process.

Pilates and yoga both have exercises which specifically aim to strengthen the back muscles. Other than that you can do weights on the machines at a gym (make sure you get an instructor to show you how to do it properly before you try it, otherwise you risk injury).

Swimming is also excellent for stretching AND strengthening the back at the same time.

Some really basic exercises to stretch your back before you use it: (more in-the-know people will probably have some better ones)

*Standing up, bend over and bend your knees a tiny bit so that you can clasp your hands behind your knees, and use the weight of your legs with your hands holding on them to pull and arch your upper back, and you'll feel the upper and mid-back stretching the whole way across.

*Kneel down and sit on your calves so your legs are totally bent back under your bum, and lean forward right down to the ground and drop your head down to the floor, and reach your hands right out as far as you can reach. Feel the stretch in your upper and mid-back.

*There's also the "cat stretch", stand like a cat on all fours (i.e. knees and hands on the ground with your feet out the back), arch your back up and tuck your tummy in to stretch the back, then flex your back the other way so it makes a concave shape in the middle of your back. Man that is harder to describe than I thought...does that make sense?

*Lie down flat on your back, put your right hand/arm out flat on the ground so it's perpendicular to your body, then bring your right knee up so it's at a right-angle and keep your foot on the floor. Then with your left hand pull your bent knee over towards your left side, while keeping your face pointing up to the ceiling. Repeat on the left side. I love this one because it stretches your bum, lower back and thighs.

Let me know if you need me to find pictures to illustrate any of those :D

*keep this in mind that you should not attempt this until you are 100% healed

I personally found that making my legs an active component of all movement to be very beneficial, squatting to pick things up etc. I also find that deadlifting (weight lifting excersize) has greatly helped with the overall stability and bulk of my back muscles, being able to endure more and use my back actively as a muscle group.

keep your head up if you were to say lift something off the ground , look up the deadlift excersize and start lifting everything off the ground like this, lower yourself with a squat grip object, flex body and keep a neutral spine and lift said object purely with legs.

hard question to ask because everyone is very different with nuaces of pain.

deadlifts will help once you are healed

start low and progress weight incrementally

check out book Starting Strength

hey neo wasnt it you who posted a pic of your lower back muscles somewhere? i was like 8o when i saw that. reminded me of the delicious morsels on the lower back of a chicken :D

my way of keeping a toned enough back to not get sore (and i sit a fucking lot because of my job) is to do weighted lunges, twists and pull ups .

hey neo wasnt it you who posted a pic of your lower back muscles somewhere? i was like 8o when i saw that. reminded me of the delicious morsels on the lower back of a chicken :D

Haha why yes, yes it was! :D <3

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing the stretches, and using my legs and arms to lift, instead of my back, and it seems to be getting better.